Contact us on 01422 357792
to request a FREE copy

Shared Lives

Shared Lives schemes are designed to support adults with learning disabilities, mental health problems, or other needs that make it harder for them to live on their own.

Shared Lives schemes are an alternative to traditional kinds of care, such as care homes. The schemes are sometimes also known as adult placement schemes.

Why Shared Lives schemes can be a good option

Sharing a home, family and community life with a shared lives carer as part of a shared lives scheme will allow you to get to know and bond with the person who will provide your support.

Some people will move in with their shared lives carer. Others, including people with dementia, for instance, will be regular daytime visitors, while some will combine daytime and overnight visits.

Sometimes people use a shared lives scheme as a way of learning the skills they need to live independently.

Disabled Facilities Grants

You could get a grant to adapt your home if you are disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:

  • Widen doors and install ramps
  • Improve access to rooms and facilities - eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • Provide a heating system suitable for your needs.
  • Adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use.
  • Fitting gates to stairs or safety glass in doors and windows.
  • Taking a bath out and installing a shower.
  • Improving access to enable care of a child/spouse

The maximum grant available is up to £30,000. It is means tested to establish if you will have to make any contribution yourself. How much you get depends on your household income and household savings.

You or someone living in your property must be disabled. Either you or the person you’re applying for must:

  • Own the property or be a tenant.
  • Intend to live in the property during the grant period (currently 5 years).

The council needs to be happy that the work is necessary and appropriate to meet the disabled person’s needs and depending on the age and condition of the property - that the work can be done. You will need to apply separately for any planning permission or building regulations approval.

The council may ask you to employ a qualified architect or surveyor to plan and oversee the work. If you get a grant, you can use it towards the cost of their fees.

To make an enquiry about Disabled Facilities Grants, contact the Occupational Therapy Service Access Team at Bradford Metropolitan District Council on: 01274 435400.

Community Meals

Park Care is a Yorkshire based family run company and have been providing hot and frozen meals for over twenty years. Park Care provides an exciting and nutritionally balanced menu - many meals are traditional favourites with some exciting new choices as well as an evening tea of a sandwich, dessert and drink.

Meals are delivered 7 days a week 365 days of the year including all bank holidays. A 2 course meal which consists of a main meal and a choice of Hot or Cold Dessert costs £5.85.

You can order a Teatime pack to arrive with your lunch. The cold evening teas consist of a sandwich, dessert and drink for only £3.00 or you can have a sandwich and desert for only £2.25

A wide variety of special diets and cultural meals - such as Asian, Halal or African-Caribbean are available. You can also choose from vegetarian, diabetic, gluten free or modified textures for people with chewing or swallowing difficulties.

Payments can be made daily or weekly by cash or cheque to the delivery driver. Alternatively a monthly invoice can be sent to you or a relative and payment returned by cheque, bank transfer or standing order.

If you require any additional information or would like to set up a Hot Meals Service, then please contact: Support Options Team on 01274 434191 or email:


Produced and distributed by Chris Thorpe Graphic Design Ltd

Office 9, Unit 18, Calderdale Business Park, Club Lane, Halifax, HX2 8DS

Tel: 01422 357792      Email: